Our Lady of Fatima, Nossa Senhora de Fátima in Portuguese

Our Lady of Fatima Parish is composed of Ilha Verde (青洲, “Green Island”); Toi San (台山 “Table Hill”); Hipódromo (“Hippodrome”, 馬場 “Horse Farm”); Areia Preta (“Black Sand”, 黑沙環 “Black-sand Ring”); Mong Ha (望廈 “View Amoy”), the Treaty of Wanghia was signed here; Bairro “Fai Chi Kei” (筷子基 “Chopsticks Base”); Portas do Cerco (關閘 “Border Gate”); and
Iao Hon (祐漢 “Blessing the Han”).

Porta de Cerco – China Gate

Barrier Gate of Macau is the historic parting between the Chinese mainland and the Macau peninsula. Originally conceived as the barrier by the colonial Portuguese rulers to obstruct cultural and political exchanges between the people of China and Macau, Macau Barrier Gate or Portas do Cerco Macau is now a must in the Macau sightseeing tour.

Barrier Gate of Macau or Portas do Cerco Macau is located at the northern most point of Macau where the peninsula unites with the mainland. This Macau Gate build of granite stones traditionally marked the border between this former colonial possession of Portugal and China. Erected in 1870 to thwart the impeding Chinese nationalistic upsurge from inflowing to Macau, this Barrier Gate of Macau is now maintained as a small park. A quote of Sun Yat Sen, the father of Chinese nationalism, “Honor your country for your country is watching you” is well engraved in the stone walls of the gate.

Barrier Gate of Macau is now the chief attraction on Macau sightseeing tour. The restructured Macau Barrier Gate Square is decorated with fountains at the centre amidst green plants. The azure tiles at the side walls jointly with the sonnet of the Portuguese Poet, Camoes portray the history of Macau. This specimen of history is surrounded by modern buildings on both side housing immigration and customs. The gate remains open from 7 am to midnight for the tourists. Tourists can the Border Gate Square through the escalators, elevators and stair cases linked with the new underground passenger terminal.

 

Macau Canindrome

Macau Greyhound Racing takes place at the Canidrome on Avenida General Castelo Branco. These races are held on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and weekends starting from 7:45 p.m. and there are 16 games on every racing evenings. Admission is MOP$10 (usable for betting) for the public stand. Boxes are MOP$80 (Monday to Thursday) and MOP$120 (Friday to Sunday and Public Holidays) with a minimum charge of MOP$30 per person. Bar, snack-bars and restaurant facilities are available.

Top of Our Lady of Fatima Parish

Lin Fung Temple

Lin Fung Temple, recognized as Lin Fung Buddhist Temple, is one of Three Ancient Temples of Macao, which is also one of the biggest constructions of the territory. Constructed during Wanli Reign of the Ming Dynasty (from 1573 to 1619), the temple was said to be an abandoned ancestral temple formerly was reconstructed by Buddhist monk-errant.

Kun Iam Temple

Kun Iam Temple, or called Kun Iam Tong is one of the Three Ancient Temples of Macao, where there are many worshippers. On the gate there are couplets: “Sultans come from India and Kun Lam manifest miracles in the south sea” Constructed in the late Ming Dynasty, Kun Iam Temple was presided in its early years by the Famous Monk Dashan of Lingnan School. The temple is also mentioned in the Annals of Macao: Once was a Kun Iam Temple.

Mong Há Hill Municipal Park

Mong Há Fort, situated on Mong Há Hill at the northern end of Macau, is a newer fortress, built in anticipation of a Chinese invasion following the Anglo-Chinese War in 1841. It was completed in 1866 and was in active service until the 1960’s, when it was abandoned. Today the area has been turned into a park with flowerbeds, grassy slopes and walkways surrounding the old fortress walls. It provides a quiet refuge for people living in the nearby neighborhoods, and good views of the north end of the city.

Mong-Há Fort

Mong Há Fort, situated on Mong Há Hill at the northern end of Macau, is a newer fortress, built in anticipation of a Chinese invasion following the Anglo-Chinese War in 1841. It was completed in 1866 and was in active service until the 1960′ s, when it was abandoned. Today the area has been turned into a park with flowerbeds, grassy slopes and walkways surrounding the old fortress walls. It provides a quiet refuge for people living in the nearby neighborhoods, and good views of the north end of the city.

Top of Our Lady of Fatima Parish

Green Island

Ilha Verde (Chinese: 青洲), literally meaning “Green Island”, is an area in the northwest of Macau Peninsula, Macau that forms part of the Our Lady Fatima Parish. It was formerly an island to the west of the Macau Isthmus, and was connected to Macau Peninsula in 1895 when a causeway (now Avenida do Conselheiro Borja) was built.

 

Macau Yatch club

The Macau Yacht Sailing Academy, working in cooperation with the Macau Sailing Association (Associação de Vela de Macau – AMV) has been offering four-day sailing courses for children and adults. 

 

St. Joseph the Worker Church

The church, in fact, is dedicated to St.
Joseph the Worker because St. Joseph is the patron of the Chinese mission. A statue of the holy family has been placed in the church as a reminder that
we cannot see Joseph detached from his family and that the pastoral character
of the new mission territory should be directed to the family. Ave. da Longevidade, R/C Bairro de Iau Hn. Macau
Tel: (853)425016, (853)425880 | Fax: (853)425572

 

Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church

Our Lady of Fatima Church was guilt in 1968, thus this is one of Macau’s newest
church. The church serves the people of the industrial Bairro Tamagnini Barbosa in
the north of the city. It stands in a quiet courtyard behind wrought-iron gates.

 

Sun Yat Sen Park

At the north end of Macau, not far from the old gate that marks the Macau S.A.R.’s border with China, is the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Municipal Park. Located next to the canal that forms part of the border, the park features an aviary, a Victorian-style greenhouse, winding walkways, flower gardens, a fung shui forest of trees which is believed to bring good luck, and a bronze sculpture called “Permanent Handshake”, representing the friendship between Portugal and China. High points in the park offer good views of the Chinese Special Economic Zone of Zhuhai across the border. A swimming pool, a children’s playground, and multi-purpose sports fields provide recreation.

Address: Avenida do Comendador Ho Yin, Macau
Opening hours: 06:00 – 23:00

Top of Our Lady of Fatima Parish

 

Lin Zexu Memorial Museum of Macau

One of the less famous but just as important museums of Macau is the Lin Zexu Memorial Museum. The memorial museum is located at the foot of the Mong Ha Hill, more specifically, the northern part of Macau which is near the border or Portas do Cerco. It is inside another Macau attraction, the Lin Fong Temple, an excellent example of the traditional and eclectic Chinese architecture.

Ox Warehouse

Ox Warehouse, the quarter of a group of Macau artists – “Old Ladies’ House Art Space”, holds regular exhibitions in various media, including paintings, sculptures, poster designs, installations, sketching, and so on. In addition to organizing interesting works of contemporary local art, the Old Ladies’ House Art Space offers workshops for adults and children in drawing, music, and other forms of art. The Ox Warehouse is worth visiting for the architecture of the old buildings, which also house a small library and a charming, informal cafe. Opening hours: 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (Closed on Tuesday)
Address: OX Warehouse, at the intersection of Av. Coronel Mesquita and Av. do Almirante Lacerda. Free Admission

 

Communication Museum

The Communications Museum boasts of uniqueness and distinctiveness because it is the only museum in Macau that features the mechanics and specifications of such basic items such as the telephone or how the post works. Not only that, it’s also one-of-a-kind for the reason that it’s the only museum in Macau that is situated along the Grand Prix circuit.

 

Water Reservoir

Macau’s first a water reservoir – Reservatório do Crocodilo. A city of very limited natural water resources, Macau depends almost for 98% from Guangdong’s Xijiang River (a tributary of the Pearl River). By gravity, this water is transferred to 3 water treatment plants, one being the Outer Harbour water treatment plant. Built in the 1920′s in the valley of Guia Hill, the reservoir shores were recently landscaped into public spaces and walkways.

 

Adjacent Parishes

St. Anthony Parish Macau (Freguesia de Santo António)

St. Lazarus Parish Macau Macau (Freguesia de São Lázaro)

Se (Cathedral) Parish Macau (Freguesia da Sé)

 

Top of Our Lady of Fatima Parish

 

Macau Travel: Nearby Attractions

  • Attractions by Parishes or Districts
  • Cathedral Parish Attractions – Central Macau
  • Cathedral Parish Attractions – NAPE Macau
  • Our Lady of Fatima Parish Attractions – North Macau
  • St. Anthony Parish Attractions – North West Macau
  • St. Lazarus Parish Attractions – North East Macau
  • St. Lawrence Parish Attractions – South West Macau
  • Our Lady of Carmel Parish Attractions – Taipa Macau
  • Cotai Strip Attractions – Cotai Macau
  • St Xavier Parish Coloane Attractions – Coloane Island
  • Macau Travel