Historical Macau Forts
Historical Macau Forts
Mount Fortress built in 1617-26, occupies a hilltop to the east of the ruins of St. Paul? s. It was constructed by the Jesuits as part of a complex which also included the college and church of St. Paul? s. The canons were used only once, when the Dutch invaded Macau in 1622.
The fortress used to be a restricted military facility until around 1965 when the barracks were converted into a weather observatory. In 1996, the meteorological services moved their operations to Taipa Island.
The fort ramparts and walls were restored in 1992, 1993 and 1996.
Guia Fortress and Lighthouse built in 1637-38, occupies the top of Guia Hill, the highest point in Macau. It was designed to defend Macau from attacks from the sea, but because of its position overlooking the entire city, its chief value has been as an observation post.
An inscription found at the entrance of Guia Fortress has the following information: The Guia Fortress was financed by the citizens of Macao with Antonio Ribeiro as the Captain of Artillery. Construction began in September 1637 and was completed in March 1638, when Domingos da Camara Noronha was the Commanding Officer .
Moorish Barracks designed in 1871 by the Italian architect Cassuto to accommodate the Indian policemen. Located close to the Inner Harbour, the Macau Moorish Barracks were originally named “Quartel dos Mouros” in Portuguese.
In order to reinforce the local police force in a move to keep peace and order, an Indian regiment was brought to Macao from Goa. The construction of the building was completed in August 1874.
Just a section remains of Macau’s old city wall.
Old City Walls built since 1632; the city was already well protected in the north, east and south with strategic military constructions. Although the Chinese authorities had not granted permission, the construction of military walls and fortresses intensified. At this time, the military structures were mostly built of chunambo.
After the Portuguese defeated the Dutch invasion of 1622, the Ming authorities approved the construction of more permanent military structures to reinforce the city’s defence.
Fortress of S. Tiago da Barra Completed in 1629 on the site of an older cannon battery, Barra fort successfully protected the bar at the entrance to the Inner Harbour against the Dutch in 1622.
Originally built by the Portuguese as a fortress in the early 17th Century the Pousada de Sao Tiago Macau is a romantic Portuguese inn with all of the comforts and elegance of a truly European Hotel.
Ingenious in the artistry of its design, the Pousada de Sao Tiago Macau offers a glimpse into Portuguese culture.