San Lazaro, in Portuguese, São Lázaro is an east-central region of Macau Peninsula. It is the smallest among the districts and it is surrounded by Our Lady Fatima Parish, St. Anthony Parish, and Cathedral Parish. One-third of its region is covered by Guia Hill (Portuguese: Colinada Guia).
Here are the 19 attractions in the San Lazaro area.
St. Lazaro Church
St Lazarus Macau, the Hermitage of Our Lady of Hope, also known as San Lazaro, was first built on this spot in 1570 as a place of worship for lepers. It was not until 1882, after the leper colony was moved to the Island of D.
Joao, that the current church was built.
Monte Fort Corridor
Monte Fort Corridor is located at the foot of Monte Fort hill and is accessible by passing through Travessa dos Artilheiros above Estrada do Repouso. With European and modern appearance, the well-located Monte Fort Corridor is ten metres high and is equipped with elevators and natural lighting. As a linkage to St. Lazarus Church, Monte Fort, and Macao Museum, the Monte Fort Corridor offers a convenient way for residents and visitors to reach Monte Fort.
A Macao Heritage Tour exhibition, with Macao historical and cultural tours as its theme, is on display at the Monte Fort Corridor with photos and explanations on scenic spots including A-Ma Temple, Na Tcha Temple, St. Lawrence’s Church, St. Augustine‘s Theatre and Monte Fort.
Monte Fort is opened from 7am to 7pm, entrance is free.
These are a row of colonial houses in bright yellow
Macau Main Library
Tap Seac Gallery
An exciting gallery devoted to promoting both cultural and artistic exhibitions has been opened in Macau on 5th Dec. 2003. The Tap Seac Gallery, which is being financed and managed by the Cultural Institute, is available for presentations, educational projects and research projects, expositions and other functions.
Tap Seac Gallery features distinctive design and construction having two wells inside the building, plus a patio in the centre of the building which allows in daylight to add a unique dimension to exhibitions and displays. The gallery covers 4,000 square feet, and for multi-purpose usage, the interior signboards can easily be adjusted and moved around. In addition, there are some computer stations allowing access to the Internet as a further aid for cultural research and information.
Contains letters, books and manuscripts pertaining to Portugal’s exploration and Macau’s relations with Europe, China, Japan, and Southeast Asia from a wide variety of governmental, civic, ecclesiastic and private sources. The most valuable have been put on microfilm, including 7500 items dating from 1587 to 1786.
The archives are houses in one of the mansions in colonial style in Avenida de Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida restored by the Macau Government which won the Pacific Area Travel Association’s Heritage Award, in 1982.
Vasco da Gama Garden
The Vasco da Gama Garden and the Vitoria Garden were both created at the end of the 19th centruy. Both gardens were designed by Augusto Cesar d’Abrue Nune.
Lou Lim Ieoc Garden
The most Chinese of all of Macau’s gardens is the Lou Lim Ieoc Garden. It was built by a wealthy 19th century Chinese merchant, Lou Kau, and was inherited by his son Lou Lim Ieoc in 1906.
Ye Ting House
n the forecourt of the Former Home of Revolutionary Leader Ye Ting, in which he lived for seven years, stand bronze statues of him, his wife and children sculpted by local artist Wong Kar Long. Various photographs of Ye Ting family members on display inside the house add a very direct dimension to the history-laden building, whose façade has been accurately and sensitively restored. Following this first phase of restoration, the Cultural Affairs Bureau plans to enlarge and further restore the interiors of the house in order to leave a legacy for future generations.
Vitoria or Victory Garden
Stone terraces lead from the busy avenue to the monument commemorating the Portuguese victory over the Dutch in 1622. Flower beds and stands of trees decorate the garden, which offers benches for footsore tourists and students from the school next door. Address: Entre Av. Sidónio Pais, Macau Opening hours: 24 Hours
Sut Yat Sen Memorial
Dr. Sun Yat Sen’s Memorial House in Macau was preserved to remember and commemorate the life of Dr. Sun Yat Sen. The memorial house contains furniture and personal belongings use by Dr. Sun Yat Sen as well as some valuable pictures of him.
The Guia Hill dominates the Macau peninsula and its top offers the best landscape views in town, namely the Pearl River and the surrounding islands. If you go in through the Flora Garden Gate (Avenida Sidónio Pais), you will find a Cable car, which will help to go up, besides offering you a panoramic view over the hill.
Cable car ticket prices: Adults – Mop$3.00 for one way, under 12 and over 65 years old – Mop$2.00 for one way. Opening hours: 8:00a.m. to 6:00p.m. Open everyday except Mondays (if Monday happens to be public holidays, the cable car will be closed on the next day). Open on public holidays.
European-style at the base of Guia Hill which was formerly the grounds of the Flora Palace, an aristocratic Portuguese mansion.
Garden of Montanha Russa
A quiet retreat in the north of Macau, next to the New Protestant Cemetery. The name ‘russa’ comes from the Chinese word for a snail, which describes the small spiral path that winds up to the top of the hill.
Take a leisurely hour-long hike up to the Guia Fortress for unbeatable panoramic views of the whole
Guia Lighthouse, Fortress and Chapel
The whitewashed lighthouse atop was the first to light the South China Sea. There is no exact record
of the date of construction of Guia
it is certain that in 1622 there was already a military structure on the
Th Guia Chapel dedicated to Our Lady of is a 17th century building and forms
part of the Guia Fort. The present chapel dates from 1637. The altar of Guia Chapel has an
image of the Virgin and a painting of Saint John the
Baptist. The chapel
is dedicated to Our Lady of the Snow.
Guia Fortress Air-Raid Shelters
On top of the Guia Hill, besides the already well-known structures, the Guia lighthouse, Guia Fort
and Our Lady of Guia Chapel, there are also some underground tunnels, which are commonly known as
air raid shelters, extending in all directions. The longest tunnel is 456 metres and the shortest
47. In the past the tunnels were off-limits military installations surrounded by barbed wire, equipped
with electricity generators, rest rooms and oil tanks.
Below Guia Hill is the Flora Garden, which can be reached by steps or a cable car that takes visitors
to street level in just 80 seconds.