Largo de Santo Agostinho looking towards the Delta Asia Bank Building.
St Augustine Square is surrounded by many important monuments, including
the St. Augustine’s Church, Agostinho the Jesuit residence, Dom
Pedro V Theatre, St. Joseph’s Seminary, Sir Robert Ho Tung Library,
and Ricci House.
St Augustine Square is cobbled in black and white in the Portuguese style. The black and white stones are all imported. Traditional lamps and barriers are nice street furniture. The Delta Bank building can be seen in the background.
The St Augustine Catholic Church is part of a monastery founded in 1586 by Spaniards.
The facade was originally of Baroque style but the existing facade is more
neoclassic dating from 1874.
St Augustine Square leads to the door of St Augustine Church. It faces the Dom Pedro Theatre. This is the church where the Passion of Christ begins on Good Friday and ends on Black Saturday.
Mother of God Detail on the Church taken from the St Augustine Square.
Dom Pedro V Theatre was built in 1860. In 1873, the main façade
of the building was renovated adopting a more neo-classical touch, including
pilasters and a pediment on the main façade.
On one side is the entrance to the St. Joseph Seminary. Inside is a church which was opened in 1758 as part of the Jesuit seminary of St. Joseph.
This church was opened in 1758 as part of the Jesuit seminary of St. Joseph.
This is beautiful church and is a favorite subject for artists. It has cruciform
shape, a high domed ceiling and exceptional acoustics.
Right beside the St Joseph Seminary. Constructed before 1894, Sir Robert Ho Tung Library originally belonged
to D. Carolina Cunha. The Mansion was later bought by Sir Robert Ho
Tung in 1918 to be his villa. Entrance is free. There is a nice garden square inside the premises.