St. Lawrence District Attractions: Macau South West[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text”]
St. Lawrence Parish (Freguesia de São Lourenço) is a southwestern area of the Macau Peninsula. It is surrounded by water on all sides except north, where it neighbours Cathedral Parish. Penha Hill and Barra Hill are to the south. The Portuguese governor building and current administrative buildings is located here. The hillsides contain luxurious residential villas.
The happiness street is full of red colored houses.
St. Augustine Church
The St Augustine Church is part of a monastery founded in 1586 by Spaniards. The facade was originally of Baroque style but the existing facade is more neoclassic dating from 1814.
Dom Pedro V Theatre
Dom Pedro V Theatre is a neo-classical building located in the Largo de St. Agostinho right across the Church. The theater is named after the Portuguese King Pedro V.
Robert Ho Tung Library
Constructed before 1894, Sir Robert Ho Tung Library originally belonged to D. Carolina Cunha. The Mansion was later bought by Sir Robert Ho Tung in 1918 to be his villa.
St Joseph Seminary
The St Joseph Seminary had been created by the Jesuits in 1728 under the auspices of the Diocese of Macau. St Joseph’s was an international institution with students and faculty coming from many countries in Europe, Asia and the Americas, including the territories under the Portuguese crown.
St. Joseph Seminary Chapel
Constructed over a span of twelve years between 1746 and 1758, St Joseph Seminary Church is an important heritage building and testimony to the missionary history of Macau. The Church is an excellent example of Baroque architecture in Macau but also assimilates both western and local influences in its structure and ornamentation.
St. Lawrence Church
This is one of the more beautiful churches of Macau. Its located on the street of the same name Ave. Sao Lorenzo. Its located near the Government Headquarters. The school in front, a Salesian School, is also the home of many of the priests.
Avenida da Republica
Avenida da República along the northwest shore of Sai Van Lake is the oldest Portuguese section of Macau. Here are several grand colonial villas not open to the public.
Macau Government Headquarters or Praia Grande Palace is located along the Avenida da Praia Grande which was for hundreds of years runs along the sea boulevard. The mansion, which blends both Chinese and European architectural styles, provides offices and meeting rooms for the Government Headquarters. Starting 2001, the mansion is open to the public for two consecutive days every year.
Penha Hill is the third highest among the hills in Macau. Penha Hill is 62.7 meters above sea plane.
Known as the Bishop´s Hill in the annals of colonial history, this leader amongst the popular destinations
in Macau is identical with the city’s colonial clout and authority. Forts, buildings, residences
of the Penha hill are wonderful sights.
Built on top Colina da Penha or Penha Hill, also known as Bishop Hill because
of the Bishop Residence, is a Chapel of Our Lady of Penha which was first built
The first chapel was erected by the crew and passengers of a ship which had
a narrow escape from the Dutch. Later the chapel served as shrine for sailors embarking on often
The chapel today dates back to 1837 when it was completely rebuilt along with
the Bishop’s Palace. It is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.
Former Bella Vista
The former Bela Vista Hotel, one of the most-storied hotels in Asia, is now the residence of the Portuguese consul general.
Santa Sancha Palace
Nearby is the ornate Santa Sancha Palace, once the residence of Macau’s Portuguese governors and now used to accommodate state guests.
San Tiago Fort (hotel) / Chapel
The Pousada de Sao Tiago Macau is a Macau landmark and is probably the best stay in Macau.Originally built by the Portuguese as a fortress in the early 17th Century the Pousada de Sao Tiago Macau is a romantic Portuguese inn with all of the comforts and elegance of a truly European Hotel.
The Macau A-Ma temple was built in the 15th century, also called Barra Temple, is situated halfway up the western slope of Barra Hill.
This chinese temple consists of the Gate Pavilion, the Memorial Arch, the Prayer Hall, the Hall of Benevolence, the Hall of Guanyin, and Zhengjiao Chanlin (a Buddhist pavilion), each forming a small part of the well-ordered complex which sits in perfect harmony with the natural environment.
The Maritime Museum of Macau showcase the deep connection of Macau with the surrounding sea geographically and historically. The rich history of Macau, being colonized by the Portuguese is exhibited in this ship-structured museum; as well as several interesting random trivia about sea travelers and their adventures.
Located at the Calcada da Barra, close to the A-Ma Temple, the Macau Moorish Barracks were originally named “Quartel dos Mouros” in Portuguese. Today it is called ‘Edificao da Capitania dos Portos
Macau Legislative Buildings;
Nam and Sai Van Lakes
Macau Travel: Nearby Attractions
- Attractions by Parishes or Districts
- Cathedral Parish Attractions – Central Macau
- Cathedral Parish Attractions – NAPE Macau
- Our Lady of Fatima Parish Attractions – North Macau
- St. Anthony Parish Attractions – North West Macau
- St. Lazarus Parish Attractions – North East Macau
- St. Lawrence Parish Attractions – South West Macau
- Our Lady of Carmel Parish Attractions – Taipa Macau
- Cotai Strip Attractions – Cotai Macau
- St Xavier Parish Coloane Attractions – Coloane Island
- Macau Travel